Learn more about the research behind Ready for Reading
Our program is built on the following set of principles:
- You know more about your child than anyone else.
- You are in the best position to help your child get ready for reading
- You can do activities for short bits of time throughout the day to offset their short attention spans.
- Parents are tremendous role models - if your children see that you think reading is important and enjoy it, they will follow your lead.
Toronto Public Library's Ready for Reading program is based on the
American Library Association's Every Child Ready to Read,
which is a research-based program, grounded in the latest advances in brain theory and early childhood development.
Ready for Reading is based on research in these areas:
- Literacy statistics
- School readiness studies
- Brain development in early childhood
- Literacy in early childhood
Let's Get Ready for Reading Guide
Pick up a copy of our Let's Get Ready for Reading Guide, filled with easy, everyday activities to help kids become readers. Find useful information on things like book recommendations, rhymes, songs, activities and reading readiness tips.
The Let's Get Ready for Reading guide has been made possible through funding from the Toronto Public Library Foundation, thanks to a generous donation by an anonymous donor. The Foundation is also grateful for the support provided by the J.P. Bickell Foundation and Rotary Club of Toronto.