Children who enjoy books will want to learn to read:
- Enjoying books together every day is the first step toward developing a love of reading. Start the day your child is born.
- Positive, fun and playful experiences with books and stories foster a desire to read and encourage your child to keep trying to read.
- This section offers some ideas and activities to help you give your child a love of books.
Each child is unique but you may observe these signs that your child is interested in language, books and reading.
- Respond to your voice and facial expressions.
- Start to look at picture books with interest and try pointing to objects.
- May pretend to read books themselves.
- Begin to understand how to handle books.
- Enjoy listening to and talking about storybooks.
- Make attempts to read and write.